Saturday, August 27, 2011

Dropkick Murphy's - Summerfest, Milwaukee - 2011-07-08

This Summer I made my first trip to Summerfest in Milwaukee.  My wife, mother-in-law, daughter and her boyfriend joined me.  The rest of them were interested in seeing Gaelic Storm play that day.  I watched Material Re-Issue during that time.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was members of Chicago's Material Issue sans their lead singer who committed suicide many years ago.  They put on a great show and played my favorite track, "Valerie Loves Me".

In between sets, drinking beers, and eating, I walked around the grounds.  Here are some funny t-shirt designs they had for sale.



Of course, the main reason we were there was to see the Dropkick Murphy's again.  We had seen them in back to back nights in February in Milwaukee and Chicago.  As usual, they were great.  Here are a few pics from my cell phone and the set list.



01 Hang Em High (2011 Going Out in Style)
02 The Fighting 69th (1999 The Gang's All Here)
03 Barroom Hero (1998 Do or Die)
04 The Gangs All Here (1999 The Gang's All Here)
05 Time To Go (2003 Blackout)
06 Deeds Not Words (2011 Going Out in Style)
07 State of Massachusetts (2008 The Meanest of Times)
08 Take Em Down (2011 Going Out in Style)
09 Going Out in Style (2011 Going Out in Style)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzrfQHmrmT4
10 Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya (2008 The Meanest of Times)
11 Sunday Hardcore Matinee (2011 Going Out in Style)
12 The Auld Triangle (2005 The Warrior's Code)
13 Get Up (1998 Do or Die)
14 Cruel (2011 Going Out in Style)
15 Blood and Whiskey (1999 The Gang's All Here)
16 Peg O' My Heart (2011 Going Out in Style)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXpQ8ajydVw
17 Tessie (2004 Tessie EP) The first time this song has been played live outside of Boston.
18 Black Velvet Band (2003 Blackout)
19 Homeward Bound (1999 The Gang's All Here)
20 Captain Kelly's Kitchen (2005 The Warrior's Code)
21 I'm Shipping Up to Boston (2005 The Warrior's Code)
22 TNT (unknown) They went right into this song and closed out the set.
23 Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced (2003 Blackout).  Encore #1 with Ken Casey singing from the center of the crowd.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXeyoEDhniE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLP4MHr6qwE
24 Boys on the Docks (1997 Boys on the Docks EP) Surprise Encore #2.  Most of the crowd had left the area already then the boys came back on stage.  I looked over toward the bleachers and saw a wave of people running back across them heading toward the stage.  I wish I would have taken a photo of it.

Great show!  I realized they played a lot of older material that I had not heard them play live recently, but reviewing this set list has validated it.

1 comment:

  1. They were great at Shamrock N Roll Festival a few weeks back in Providence, RI. Also an outdoor show-good times!

    ReplyDelete