Friday, June 8, 2012

2012 Punk Rock Bowling - Part Two

Sunday, May 27th
I managed to lose $60 on the penny slot and poker machines during the afternoon.  I was in Vegas after all.  I arrived at the venue around 4pm and hung out at the beer tent for a bit as I brought my ID with me this time.  I watched a little of American Heist and then headed back to the shade in the beer tent.  I then came back to watch the Beltones from Florida who apparently have not played for many years.  They played an enjoyable 30 minute set, but I just can't get over the vocals which is why apparently others really like them.


The next band was Old Man Markley, a bluegrass punk band.  While I did enjoy their set, I probably would not buy any of their releases.  The band was complete with amplified acoustic guitar, a stand up bass made from a galvanized steel wash tub and a few 2x4's, violin, an electric harp, etc.  I could only recognize on song - "Party Shack".  I would not mind seeing them as an opening band again.  In fact, if you want to have a real hillbilly event, the bands should include - Old Man Markley, Larry & His Flask, Reverend Peyton & His Big Damn Band, Gogel Bordello, and Flogging Molly.


Up next were Boston's Street Dogs.  I have seen them about a half dozen times.  They continue to get better and better live.  They had a ton of energy.  The lead singer jumped off the stage down in front of the barrier and then lept off the barrier into the crowd with mic in hand a few times during the set.  Remember, this is a 40+ year old Desert Storm veteran.  Fuck, there is no way I could do that.  I need to see more of them. They always bring it.  Today, they had a little extra - they played some early Dropkick Murphys tunes that Mike McColgan sang back in the day as their original singer before joining the military and then the Boston Fire Department.  They were worth the days price of admission alone.  Here are some tracks I remember them playing.

In Defense of Dorchester
Back to the World
Drink Tonight
Tobe's Got a Drinking Problem
Rattle and Roll
Up the Union
Punk Rock and Roll
(Dropkick Murphys songs)
Do or Die
Never Alone
Skinhead
Guns of Brixton


Reggae act, Hepcat, was up next.  The crowd got into them, but I took it as an opportunity to get some more beer and something to eat.
Next, the band I have been waiting probably 30 years to see play.  Originally, I decided to buy tickets to this show, hotel arrangements, and a plane ticket because the original Sham 69 was going to play the event.  Due to an unfortunate diagnosis of cancer of Jimmy Pursey's (lead singer) father, they cancelled their USA tour which included this event.  I was bummed when I read the news about the cancellation as they are probably in my top 10 bands still playing that I want to see that I have never seen.  Lucky for me, they were replaced by the fucking Cockney Rejects who were probably in the top 3 of bands I wanted to see who I have never seen.  How lucky could I be?  I have to admit that they under delivered to my expectations.  However, next to the Sex Pistols, who I saw in the 1990's on their first reunion tour in Memphis, the Cockney Rejects were one of the first punk bands that I listened to all of the time in my teens.  I set my expectations too high.  There was no way they could have delivered against them.  I am glad that I got to see them play, and I will go see them anytime they are playing near Chicago (apparently they are playing at Reggie's in July per the venues website but not yet per the bands website).  The crowd was into them.  Stinky Turner was shadow boxing throughout the set.  I was glad the band had the 70's sound instead of their 2000's sound for the classics.  Well worth the price of admission.  Here is what I remember hearing them play.
Bad Man
Fighting in the Streets
Join the Rejects
East End
Police Car
Where the Hell Is Babylon?
War on the Terraces
Oi! Oi! Oi!
Greatest Cockney Ripoff
Power & the Glory
On the Streets Again
I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
Flares & Slippers

The headliner for the evening was Rancid.  Ba-boom!!!  OMG!!!  Granted, I really like this band, but they over delivered.  This was probably the 3rd or 4th time that I saw them play.  They were off the hook.  There was so much energy in the crowd it was incredible.  You better believe I am going to see them again if they are within 60 miles of Chicago.  I am a bit pissed I left early to get to the after festival show on time.  If I had known that it would not have started on time, I would have surely stuck around to see their encore.  Here is what I remember them playing which included quite a selection of very early tracks.  The only thing that could have been better would have been them playing "White Knuckle Ride".
Adina
Rejected
Radio
Nihilism
Tenderloin
St. Mary
Maxwell Murder
Time Bomb
Olympia, WA
Journey to the End of East Bay
Old Friend
The Wars End
As Wicked
The Way I Feel
Dead Bodies
Fall Back Down
Red Hot Moon
It's Quite Alright
Spirit of 87
East Bay Night
Last One to Die


Off to the Country Saloon for the after fest show...

Check out more photos here. A link to videos will follow in another post.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to see Cockney Rejects in July as well. Street Dogs rule. Maybe Johnny Rioux will play at The Bruisers reunion show at 2000 Tons of TNT festival.

    ReplyDelete