Friday, March 23, 2012

2012-03-16 Dropkick Murphys - HoB, Boston, MA



Well, it is now game time!

Up first were Boston's Revilers.  I enjoyed their set.  They were a punk'd up Motorhead with some guitar players that could play a few licks and not just Ramones chords.  I would enjoy seeing them play again.

Next was Frank Turner. I thought this would be the set where I just drank beers and hoped would pass quickly.  I was pleasantly surprised that he took his English acoustic, folk songs and speed them up with an electric band.  I actually enjoyed the set.  At one point, he called a girl up on stage and had here play a harmonica solo during a song.  The funny thing was she never had a harp in her hand before getting on stage.  She did a good job.

Finally, the reason we came to town.  The Dropkicks hit the stage and opened up with "For Boston" and the crowd went nuts.  It was the best DKM show that I have ever seen.  Plans are already in place to make it back to town next year.  I wish I could provide you the setlist.  Unfortunately, the HoB does not usually let cameras into the venue so we did not bring one so there are no good pics and no videos.  I did get a few OK pics from my cell phone.  Ken Casey's daughter was part of an Irish Dancing Club that participated in a few songs.  She didn't tell him she was participating in one song, and he messed up the lyrics on that song as he spent his time watching her perform.  Great to see him show his fatherly side.  There was a 4 song acoustic set in the middle which gave me time to hit the men's room and grab another beverage.  They played "The Dirty Glass" and had one of the Parkington Sisters sing the song.  I have not seen them play this song live very often.  Incredible!  When they sang "Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced" a few hundred women in the crowd jumped on stage to singalong.  I never witnessed this before.  Apparently, it only happens in Boston.  After shuffling them off stage and a few songs later, a few hundred men jumped on stage for a song (which by this time I don't remember) and they then played an electric version of "Citizen CIA" to close out the show.  I didn't see Sidney either ;).

We did spend a few $ on merch for a DKM t-shirt for Wendy, a 2012 St Pat's week t-shirt for me, a DKM soccer jersey and a DKM stainless steel bar back bottle opener.  They were nice enough to through in a free recycleable grocery bag.

Here are the songs I remember not in order.

For Boston
The Irish Rover
Going Out in Style
Peg O' My Heart
Forever
Citizen CIA (acoustic and electric)
Shipping Up to Boston
Captain Kelly's Kitchen
The State of Massachusetts
Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced
The Dirty Glass
An AC/DC Song (either TNT or Dirty Deeds - I don't remember)
The Rocky Road to Dublin
Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya
Devil's Brigade (acoustic)
Boys on the Docks (acoustic)
The Auld Triangle
On the Attack




No comments:

Post a Comment