Friday, March 23, 2012

Off to Church



My loving wife willingly let me head back to the Fenway area to join Sean for yet another punk rock show at The Church.  Before the show, we took in dinner and a few drinks at the semi-posh restaurant.  I had an awesome meatloaf sandwich.


The venue was next door.  It was quite small, but had a really good sound.  There were probably 150-200 people that were in attendance.  It was nice to be in attendance in such a small venue on St Pat's Day in Boston.

I believe there were supposed to be five bands at this show.  There ended up being 3 and 1/5th.  A band from Troy, NY opened up.  I forget their name.  They were a good opening act, but the 45 minute set was about 25 minutes too long.

The Pinkerton Thugs were supposed to play next.  Apparently, only one of their band members could be convinced to play on St Pat's Day.  He played an acoustic guitar, and played some solo songs and PT songs.  It was quite an admirable event.  I was pleasantly quite fine with this after he played.

Up next were Refused Resist who I was very interested to see play.  They did not disappoint.  They made it official that I made the right decision to come out to this show.  I recall them playing the following tracks.

Don't Get in My Way
Stop Them Now
Still in Massachusetts
Captain
Middle America
Socialized
Sunday Matinee
We're Not Gonna Take It (Twisted Sister cover)

The Swaggerin Growlers were the headliner. They are a Celtic Punk type band.  Unfortunately, I was not in the mood for their poor man's Flogging Molly set.  We left midway through their first set.  They did play "Drunk Before Noon" which is a song I enjoy by them.  To be fair, it was a long weekend, and I was too tired for their style by then.

I picked up the first Refuse Resist CD and a t-shirt to support the band.



1 comment:

  1. Actually I heard that some members of Pinkerton Thugs were sick, so that is why they did not play. Great show still, Refuse Resist rocks. The first band was Dead Aces, from NY.

    ReplyDelete