Saturday, March 3, 2012

Digital Age


I bought myself a new NAS (network attached storage) drive for Christmas.  It is a Buffalo TeraStation 8GB drive that has four 2GB drives.  I have set it up as a RAID 5 drive so that if any one drive fails the others will still work until I get a replacement drive and I will not lose any files.  I ended up with about 5.5GB of useable space.  Right now it is 45% full.

The drives on the left are my former drives. They are Buffalo LinkStation drives with two 1GB drives in them that used to be mirrored drives.  I removed the RAID mirroring and now use them as my back up drives to the TeraStation for additional redundancy.

I can access the TeraStation anywhere in the world that I can access the internet.  I think I am good for a while until I start to burn my DVDs to digital files :).  Yes, I am a semi-geek when it comes to computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment